Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lily's Pups have arrived

9:00 a.m. September 16th, 2011. 

Lily's first contractions began... by 10:00, the scariest whelping I have ever encountered.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm something I'm not.  Quite frankly, I'm just learning.  Every litter I have helped whelp, I had my fellow friends/breeders helping me out or a phone call away for guidance and a sense of "being there" and walking me through things, if I felt uncomfortable, or unsure.  It's great having a network.

My very first litter was a breeze!  The others that follow had some heartache, but nothing prepared me for this.... and no one was around this time for help and guidance. 

This is only my 6th litter.  As Lily started to get contractions, we were both quite "under control"... little grunts... pushes..me saying all is good... good girl...you know.. morale support.  When the pup was ready to come out, that was a different story  ~   I could not keep her in one place. She was screaming at the top of her lungs, turning, twisting, lunging, I was all alone in the house.  I kept calm and was trying to calm her...to no avail.  Her last swing around, screaming, whipped out a pup with placenta...... and she headed for the window of the large ensuite bathroom - I'm surprised she did not go through it! My god.... my heart was pounding...I was trying to get her to come to me, and trying to get this pup to breathe at the same time... why was no one around!!  I checked for a heart beat...there was none.  Did some CPR... tried everything. 

My husband called me at that point... and I was beside myself to say the least. I had a puppy that was dead, a mother that was scared and shaking at the window - still not moving outta place, and 3 more to deliver and I'm wondering, well.... lots is going through my head at this point.

My husband came rushing home to be with me.

After 2 1/2 hours... she was not contracting...we know she has 4. Eddie packed up the van, I sat in the back with her, crate and all.  The visit to the vet, was the safest place right now... and eased my mind, and slowed down my heart rate.  There she was given some oxytocin, and we waited another 1/2 hour.... nothing - The remaining pups were still quite high in her body.  The Vet told us he would be back to get her, as he was going to start to prepare for a c section.... then all of a sudden prior to his return.... she started contracting. 

Eddie was trying to soothe her, then she started to scream some more... less than the first time, but still quite loud - Eddie did not let her go.  Out came the boy.  I quickly took him out of the sac, and got him to breathe.  He was small... I placed him to her face.... and told her "Look lilly frill - it's your baby"  She sniffed, and walked closer to me.... and started to clean him.  I breathed a sigh of relief. 

Can I say I cried.  Well I'm going to say it anyways... I cried at this point.

15 minutes later out came the other... she didn't make a peep.  Praise praise praise... good Lily...  He was purple... lots of fluid. I titled and shook him, as I did for all the pups, but he had lots more... The Staff took him and shook him more...out came more liquid, and they placed him in a huge "latex" glove, and filled it with pure oxygen.  He looked like a lab mouse....Eddie and I were laughing...  45 minutes later the last boy came out, he too a bit on the purple side, all he needed was a bit of oxygen.

All to say.  We have 3 boys, of 4.2 ounces.  All are doing well so far.  Mom, as confused as she is, is adjusting, and being a fuss ass on her food.  That's okay.  I'm giving her whatever she needs, this including me sleeping beside her in the closet.... and giving her some Chicken Breast and rice. 




All in all, this is day one of their lives and all have NOT lost weight, but have gained.  They are 4.9 oz, 5.0 oz and 5.2 oz.... Mom is giving them food for sure, and cleaning them up best she can.  I think we are quite lucky in that sense. 

More pictures of these 3 boys on facebook.  You don't need an account to view them.

5 comments:

lonfrichuk said...

What an experience, my heart was pounding just reading about it! The babies are beautiful and hopefullynit will be smooth sailing from here on in :-)

Barb Mack said...

I couldn't imagine, just trying to picture it all. The boys are adorable as always. Congrats!!!

Linda said...

Lilly and you should be proud of your accoplishments, beautiful pups Penny......hugs go you's. It sure is a lot of work whelping pups sometimes and the heartache that goes with it.....the end result is what makes us happy, having a living pup take its first breath in our hand, there is no high like this one in life to compare to.

Val B. said...

What precious little boys, Penny. I'm so glad that things are going well with them.

anamchara1 said...

Oh, poor you and poor Lily!! So sorry about the loss of the first born, but now you and your girl can concentrate on the others, who seem to be doing so well!! We'll look forward to watching them grow up!