Sunday, April 12, 2009

A family that works together accomplishes great things II

April 11, 2009 - a day I will never forget.

Today, grooming up the 2 dogs, getting ready for the show, working with Portia's "jumping problem" a bit, watching (trying to learn) Kim do some pruning and putting final finishes on Portia, I walk into the Sr. Puppy Class.

Portia receives 1st place. Not once did she jump. Handing her over to Brianna with the arm band, who now has to get ready to go into the ring for Winners just in case. (she hasn't done this in 2 years) . I see "fear" in her eyes. - tee hee.

I then Bring in Rosé in the bred by exhibitor class, she also places first. Bria is definately going into the winners class with me. OMG!! What do I do? she asks.... quick explanations... quick reassurances... in we go.

So there we are, going around, showing our dogs, baiting them....Judge G. Maccuaig honours Kim's beautiful blue, Stormy, Winners. Around we go again, low and behold... Brianna puts a RWB on Portia. She was soooo stunned. Judge Maccuaig says... " You look surprised".. Bria being bria.. " I am!" then she shares a giggle with the judge.

Bria comes out of the rings and says, "Okay so you want me to pack up the truck?" I gently tell her that we have to compete for Best puppy in Breed. She quickly hands over Portia and the arm band to me, "Have fun!" she says.

Portia receives BPIB. I'm pretty emotional at this point and it doesn't help when all the ringside friends and fellow breeders cheering me on after the win. They are a great bunch of people.

So Kim whisks me away - like we are going to a secret hideaway... and now it's serious stuff... she does more primping and pruning. She reminded me of a mother bird with me under her wing....truly a heart filled moment of joy, respect, friendship and everything else that says pride!

So off I go to the Best puppy in Group, Kim giving me last minute ringside grooming instructions....do this... this... and this... relax...this and this....... in I go.

Portia is just working it now. She is alive, she is alert, focussed, just showing her heart out. I think she knew - this was it - and it was. She takes BEST PUPPY IN GROUP. Now the Sheltie section of ringside "goes wild" - well, they are cheering louder than before.... I"m a basket case. I've never gone this far with a dog... and to have it being one of my very own... what can I say... like a proud mom.. I fall apart, and again it doesn't help with everyone congratulating me. Now it's time for photos before the judge leaves.

Kim swoops her away from me, and starts brushing her and getting ready for her pictures... just like a vogue photo shot.. .Not that I minded at all!!! I felt very very special Thank you so much Kim.

Off to best Puppy in show. Again.. Portia is all out, showing like a trooper. We did not get the big ribbon,,,, but an experience I shall NEVER NEVER forget.

Thank you Kim for all you did for us today.... Thank you Brianna for your courage and excellent presentation of Portia, and thank you all those who gave words of encouragement and routed us on!

2 comments:

Laureate said...

Congratulations on YOUR much deserved successful day! You have put in a lot of time and effort with your puppies. They have great temperaments, are having fun and look super out there with you and Bria! It was nice to see the support of everyone for your win, and the Sheltie folk who stayed to watch and cheer you on in BPIS...that is very special!
Good luck today!

Pennylynn said...

If your intention was to make me cry today... you have achieved it.

I'm still on cloud nine. Very proud and very tired.

I thank you again for all you did that afternoon, AND the push you gave me a few months back to go to the handling classes - Hard work... time invested indeed.. but I see where this all pays off.