Monday, October 12, 2009

Walking the Turkey off - on the Chickadee Path

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. I am thankful about alot of things in my life. My job. My family. My few but dear friends. The kind acquaintances that I have. I am thankful that my parents play very active roles in the lives of my children (their grandchildren) and in my life with my husband. My son, who likes to come camping with me, and doing the groceries with me every weekend. I am most thankful that I have my children who still, at ages 16 and 14, enjoy helping out in the big chore of thanksgiving dinner. I am also thankful that my children and husband still want to spend time together and keep our tradition of our October Trail Walk. I am also very thankful that my husband puts up with all my baggage and still insists on a kiss hello when I walk through the doors after work and a good night kiss before I go to bed - no matter how ticked off I am that day! I am thankful that my mother likes to join me in the summer for long road trips and sharing my love of the Shetland Sheepdog and Showing them. I am thankful that I have a daughter who enjoys coming along to dogshow shows with me. I am thankful that I am alive and well enough to enjoy the best of the days.

We actually had the big Turkey dinner Sunday night with my parents.

We started cooking our feast at around 11:30 Sunday Morning.

Tyler dropping the giblets and neck in the pot of "vegetable ends" and water to make our "nonfat" gravy base.

Bria chopping the vegetables. Preparing the glazed carrots, brussel sprouts and 3 varieties of Squash.

Mother, is this the knife I use to chop?

Cleaning sink before Mr. Turkey gets his bath.

Production lines.

Monday morning, we headed out with our Niger Seeds and went to our yearly tradition - the Chickadee Path. We have missed a few years since we moved out to the country, but we used to go every year when the kids were young.

The path is located off Moodie Drive. It's actually called Stoney Swamp (Beaver Trail). The trail actually goes all the way (245KM) to Kingston.

This place also has the Wild Bird Care Centre

Bria happy that a chickadee had landed on her hand - I was too slow to get the pic of the bird.
What an enchanted looking forest. Soooo lush and colourful

Leaves falling off the trees! A good gust of wind come through.

Dad and 2 of three of his babies.

Got the picture now!
2 birds "fighting" to get the seed.

The winner!

What nature does to ones spirit ~ look at the happiness on their faces.

My friend kept running around my feet. He then settled down and posed for me in the nearby tree.

This birch tree has major fungi growing on it.


Looks like a woodpecker enjoyed this insect infested tree.

Another Chipmunk trying to hide under the leaves.

The ducks nearby the beaver dam.

The wooden "boardwalk" to the dam.
A 2.6 km walk (one way) on such a beautiful day. Too bad dogs were not allowed on this path. The fur kids would have loved this.

He's so small.
Tyler.... still hasn't quite grown up yet..... yeah!!!!


Dancing in the forest

Daddy's little girl

2 comments:

anamchara1 said...

Penny, I had no idea you were such a talented and sought-after singer! Your family's trail walk looks awesome, and you captured some amazing moments (LOVE the leaves falling around your daughter!). No wonder you try to make it an annual thing!

Pennylynn said...

LOL! sought-after may be a tad bit much to say.... but yes.... I am confident that I can carry a tune (and no it's not cause my mom says I can Simon!) I have a few work colleges that come out to cheer me on when I sing.

I love that picture too. I hope our annual thing hold off for at least 2 more years... god! they are growing up sooooo fast. I don't know what I'm going to do without them when they are big and leave the nest.

So funny, the word verification (Type the characters you see in the picture above) for this posting was "dinde".. Turkey in french. How freakin' weird is that- considering the post is called "Walking the Turkey off "